Some of our customers at Rob’s Automotive Repair are surprised to learn that there are actually two service schedules for their vehicles. One is the regular schedule and the other is the severe service schedule.
Let’s look at what the manufacturers say constitutes severe driving conditions, and let you draw your own conclusions:
- Most of your trips are less than four miles
- Most of your trips are less than ten miles and outside temperatures are below freezing
- The engine is at low speed most of the time – not on the highway
- You operate your vehicle in dusty areas
- You regularly tow a trailer, carry heavy loads or a car-top carrier Stop and go driving
- Driving in very hot or very cold weather
- So you can see that a lot has to do with how you drive, but some has to do with where you drive. Some areas of the country will be more or less severe than it is here in Clackamas, OR.
For many, normal driving includes elements of severe service driving. So how do you know? Picture a line with â€˜regular’ on one end and â€˜severe’ on the other, and make a judgment on where you fall.
If your regular oil change recommendation is 5,000 miles and the severe service recommendation is 3,000 – when should you change your oil? For some, it’s closer to 3,000 miles. For others, it’s closer to 5,000 miles. Your service advisor will be happy to have this discussion with you and help you sort it out.
If you drive where the air is dusty or polluted, fluids will become contaminated and filters will get dirtier more quickly.
So make an honest evaluation of your driving conditions in and around Clackamas. You’ve made the commitment to take care of your vehicles, so it only makes sense to follow the right schedule.
Give us a call for advice for your car based on our local Clackamas driving conditions.
At Rob’s Automotive Repair in Clackamas OR (97015) we install quality NAPA replacement parts. Give us a call at 503.650.6101. To learn more about NAPA AutoCare, visit www.NAPAAutoCare.com.